Re: [Hampshire] Konsole

Author: Stephen Rowles
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Konsole
> On Wed, 8 Jul 2009 09:06:55 +0100 (BST)
> "Stephen Rowles" <stephen@???> wrote:
>
>> > right.. having installed midnight commander (never used it before)
>> > the following command should work:
>> >
>> > /bin/bash -c "su - -c mc"
>
> ah! it was the need for a second "-c" that had escaped me
>
> mc is a very useful tool as it will run on a system without X and give
> a semi-gui file manager (and more).
>
> I first became acquainted with its parent, Norton Commander, a long
> time ago when I bought a 32 meg hard card* that came with dos and a
> trial copy of Norton Commander installed on it.
>
> I found I preferred NC to Xtree which I'd been using till then and when
> I converted from OS/2 to Linux and found there was a clone of NC I
> started using that for all my file management stuff.

Ah... now Xtree I remember from my very very early days using my dads
Tandy 1000 (HX model I think certainly looked like the picture of an HX on
wikipedia) we had the extra memory module to take us to the full 640k and
an external 3.5inch floppy drive to compliment the 5.25 inch drive in the
side of it :).

I taught myself to program in BASIC on that machine, and learned to touch
type as it was one of the few interesting programs it had for a young boy
to play with!