Re: [Hampshire] Solaris & Virtualization

Top Page
Author: Dr A. J. Trickett
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Solaris & Virtualization

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x57d18100.hantslug.org.uk.27203': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Sun Jul 5 13:05:44 2009 BST
gpg: using RSA key CE51DC61FABA2DF3
On Saturday 04 Jul 2009, Rob Malpass wrote:
> Hi all
>
> >From time to time, I play around a bit with Solaris. Lately I've been
> > doing so on a pretty power machine with 4Gb RAM running Hardy and
> > VirtualBox with Solaris inside.
>
> The thing is, even though the virtual machine is highly specified (I've
> given it 2Gb RAM) - the running of Solaris inside it seems very slow and
> clunky. In fact come to think of it whenever I've run things inside
> virtual machines - it always seems a bit slow and clunky.
>
> Is this just Solaris?

Yes. See below.

> Have I missed something on the spec of the vm?
> Is this a feature of virtualising in general?

Depends.

I run VirtualBox and kqemu on my desktop system. It's an AMD64 with 2Gb RAM
and no hardware VM support. Windows up to XP run fine in VirtualBox at near
real time and most Linux distros run fine under either kqemu or VirtualBox
(VBox seems better when there is a GUI involved).

On my AMD64 X2 with VM hardware and 4Gb RAM, VirtualBox, kqemu and KVM all
work fine. CPU load on the host system is slight and the performance of the VM
client is very good overall.

I'd say that if you are able to take advantage of the kernel mode stuff then
it's generally very fast - if it's full emulation then it's a lot slower. If
you are doing things that a graphically heavy then they do run quite slow
under VM, even when you have plenty of CPU and RAM on the host system.

The only VM client I'd have to say I've struggled with is Solaris, it's an
order of magnitude more resource greedy than any Linux or Windows I've tried.
The VM needs twice the RAM and disk and even then the virtualised performance
is really sluggish...!

--
Adam Trickett
Overton, HANTS, UK

Good advice is always certain to be ignored,
but that's no reason not to give it
    -- Agatha Christie