[Hampshire] copying data from SataII drive from VIA RAID too…

Author: Jason Butwell
To: hampshire
Subject: [Hampshire] copying data from SataII drive from VIA RAID too slow
Hi, I have recently been trying to copy off 400gb of data from a seagate
barracuda 500gb drive partition formatted as Ext3. After messing with my
Linux system (ubuntu 8 at the time) I noticed that DMA was not enabled on my
DVD-RW or the VIA RAID card. I am trying to copy the data to a USB2 HDD but
it is so dog slow. I have reinstalled Ubuntu several times including the new
9.04 and the problem persists. It is transfering the data at 4mbps or
something. I have installed windows onto the machine now and mounted the
drive partition with a free 3rd party tool but it is still dog slow? I am at
the end of my tether with it and I cant understand why it's being this crap.
I can transfer the data over a 100mpbs network at 5mbps per second but again
its far too slow. Writing to DVD-RW under ubuntu is problematic as well and
writes at 3-4x speed instead of 8x? I have tried all the hdparm stuff but I
just get errors coming up and DMA does not get enabled. It is enabled under
windows as far as I can see but transfering the data off the drive is still
too slow? I am starting to think that the motherboard doesnt have very good
linux support. It is an old MSI SIS 648 Max. Anyone have any thoughts? TIA.
J.