Re: [Hampshire] No WPA2 option in Jaunty

Author: Anton Piatek
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] No WPA2 option in Jaunty
2009/6/26 Rob Malpass <lug@???>:
> Hi all
>
> Totally fed up with Windows on my laptop (Toshiba Tecra so quite old) I've
> just installed Jaunty.   Very impressed with it booting properly, picking up
> sound, screen res and even my wireless card.   It can see several wireless
> networks including my own but sadly it's fallen at the final hurdle.
>
> My wireless lan uses WPA2 and there's no such option in network manager -
> only wep and something called LEAP which I've never heard of.   I've tried
> them all and no surprise - no dice..   Sorry if this is a bit old - but
> anyone know a workaround.   My install disk was a LXF coverDVD so presumably
> has the full package list on it.

Not sure if you are missing some package (wpasupplicant?) but I
certainly have WPA2 on my network manager - I have not moved to wicd
so cannot check show you, but it certainly was there as I used it to
connect to my network.

Personally I prefer wicd (I never got network manager happy under kde,
and also found wicd plays a little nicer). You cannot have both
installed, but its simple enough to switch between them if you are
online (though it might be worth doing an aptitude download for each
so that you have both local in case you have problems)

Anton

--
Anton Piatek
email: anton@???

No trees were destroyed in the sending of this message, however, a
significant number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.