Re: [Hampshire] Sharing calendars

Author: Paul Tansom
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Sharing calendars
** Chris Dennis <cgdennis@???> [2009-06-24 22:48]:
> I've got a client who wants to combine their Windows PCs with a Linux
> server. The server will provide file sharing (using Samba), email
> (using IMAP), and shared calendars and task lists.
>
> It's the calendars and tasks that are proving difficult. They need
> something to replace Outlook (they currently use Softalk ShareServer
> instead of MS Exchange).
>
> Zimbra is a possibility, but it's only open source as an after-thought.
> Likewise Atmail.
>
> Citadel looks good, but seems to use something called GroupDAV for
> calendars, whereas Thunderbird/Lightning and Evolution talk about WebDAV
> and CalDAV and WCAP as ways of sharing calendars. And there's a thing
> called CalendarServer from Apple which is actually packaged in Ubuntu.
>
> It's all rather confusing really. Can anyone suggest a good way of
> doing the calendar/tasklist sharing thing between Windows clients via a
> Linux server?

** end quote [Chris Dennis]

Since you mention he Apple CalendarServer, and personally I'd probably favour
CalDAV as being more flexible in terms of choice of servers and clients, have
you looked at the CalConnect website [1] (actually linked from the
CalendarServer one). If you look at their CalDAV information [2] they have a
selection of client and server implementations to choose from. In terms of open
source, there's a few options.

Chandler [3] looks interesting, although I tend to shy away from Java apps.
Both DAVical [4] and SOGo [5] look up to date. There's also the modcaldav
Apache module available [6].

Those look most promising on the server side of things, but it is a while since
I last looked and I didn't get past the experimental stage last time round (on
my things to do list again, and things look more interesting than when I last
looked thankfully).

There's plenty to choose from on the client for Windows, Linux and Mac. For me
I suspect that Mozilla Sunbird/Lightning [7] would be the likely choice,
although I see Mulberry [8] has gone open source now (likely a bit dated, it
was when I last looked, even though quite capable). If you're look to link with
existing Outlook clients then OpenConnector [9] looks interesting - well, as
interesting as Outlook related stuff can do ;)

[1] The Calendaring and Scheduling Consortium, http://www.calconnect.org/
[2] http://caldav.calconnect.org/
[3] http://chandlerproject.org/Developers/ChandlerServerSource
[4] http://www.davical.org/
[5] http://www.scalableogo.org/
[6] http://sourceforge.net/projects/modcaldav
[7] http://mozilla.org/
[8] http://www.mulberrymail.com/
[9] http://openconnector.org/

OK, I may have overdone the links!

Registered in England | Company No: 4905028 | Registered Office:
If you would like to sponsor me to do the Moonlit Memories walk for Rowans
Hospice on 20th June please visit http://www.justgiving.com/paultansom