Re: [Hampshire] OT:Fwd: Mark Thompson on Media Show on R4 ab…

Author: James Courtier-Dutton
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] OT:Fwd: Mark Thompson on Media Show on R4 about FM switch off
2009/6/23 trotter <m.nuttall@???>:

>>Feedback has continually ignored the fact that
>>there's a problem with DAB's sound quality over
>>the last few years, either because they don't
>>realise that the poor audio quality is an
>>entirely separate issue to that of having poor
>>reception quality, or they've simply swallowed
>>the BBC's dishonest spin on the subject. So now
>>would be a good time to remind them that there is still a problem.
>>

>From reading the DAB standards, European Standard 201 980, it seems

quite clear that the audio quality of DAB, or DAB+ for that matter is
worse than the old FM.
It uses 12kHz or 24kHz sampling when we are all used to 44.1kHz CDs
and 48kHz DVDs.
I cannot see any good reason for going with DAB is the sound quality is worse!
They should have at least made the sound quality the same or better,
which is how they got people off records onto CDs.
In my view, digital should be better. It is better for digital TV, no
snowy screens. So why not make it better for radio.
Anyway, by the time this all eventually goes mainstream, better
technologies will have passed it by. E.g. Ones based on mobile phone
technologies.

Kind Regards

James