Re: [Hampshire] OOo 3.1 supports anti-aliasing

Author: John Cooper
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] OOo 3.1 supports anti-aliasing
Stephen Nelson-Smith wrote:
> Hello,
>> OO is free to download and use.
>
> It's also shit. I'm not interested in 'demand a full refund'
> conversations - OOo, particularly the spreadsheet, has cost my company
> *much* more than £200.00 in lost time with its crashes and
> unbelievably slow performance.
>
>> The majority of people will find OO good enough to use
>
> That's just an assertion.

No,it isn't. OO was created from Star Office and is used by millions of
people worldwide. For the majority of users OO is fine. Where there are
problems is when docs created in MS office are used in OO. This doesn't
mean OO is crap. Documents created in OO don't crash. I'm sure Mac
software has similar problems with MS office docs.

The other issue is user familiarity of MS office. Just because OO
doesn't exactly mirror MS office doesn't mean it is crap. This is a hard
learning curve and will take time for users to adjust. This is no
different to when MS office first came out.

John.

Discover Linux - Open Source Solutions to Business and Schools
http://discoverlinux.co.uk