Re: [Hampshire] OOo 3.1 supports anti-aliasing

Author: John Cooper
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] OOo 3.1 supports anti-aliasing
Phillip Chandler wrote:
> On Sat, 2009-06-13 at 21:38 +0100, John Cooper wrote:
>> Don't forget you need a valid MS office license to run under Crossover
>> and that doesn't mean just because you have the windows version you can
>> install another in Linux. Are you happy paying £200+ for that?
>
> Yep got that.

And you are happy to pay £200+ plus for your MS habit?

>> OO is free to download and use. OO not only supports MS formats but its
>> own document formats, Writer using the ISO standard ODT, unlike MS
>> office. It also has direct PDF export which is very useful.
>
> Dont really need PDF export, and if I do then I go online to export one
> doc every decade.

So you send Word docs which can contain viruses? Do you virus scan
before sending? Although PDFs may have exploits they are still safer
than Word docs and can't be altered. They are a true cross platform format.

>> The majority of people will find OO good enough to use and its startup
>> speed will improve as it is being improved all the time.
>>
>> For those who think MS office or OO are too bloated, well suggest an
>> alternative rather than saying both are rubbish. We all need to use
>> something to compose letters, create spreadsheets and presentations and
>> I'm very happy with OO for that.
>>
> Abiword ?

Abiword only provides basic word processing and can't be compared with a
full office suite. Most companies need to compose letter, spreadsheets
and presentations.

Discover Linux - Open Source Solutions to Business and Schools
http://discoverlinux.co.uk