Re: [Hampshire] Broadband Issues

Top Page
Author: Hugo Mills
To: lug, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Broadband Issues

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x57e9a100.hantslug.org.uk.24296': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Sat Jun 6 22:48:24 2009 BST
gpg: using DSA key 20ACB3BE515C238D
On Sat, Jun 06, 2009 at 10:39:07PM +0100, Vic wrote:
> > I would not put it past Sky to doctor the router so that it only display
> > the maximum possible speed and not the actual speed as most routers I have
> > seen do.
>
> They don't need to.
>
> The router displays the connection speed. That's the rate at which it can
> exchange data over the phone line - the rate betwwen router and exchange.

Only in this case, it isn't. It's showing the maximum protocol
speed, not the (likely) data rate between the modem and the exchange,
which is generally the limiting factor.

> The actual measured rate is the rate between the client PC and a test
> server. To get to that server, the data must pass through the ISP's
> network. That gives the ISP all sorts of control over how fast data is
> transferred. Alternatively, the maximum speed is dictated by the maximum
> speed that the ISP can support internally.

Not really. The maximum speed of the ISP's data network is likely
to be many order of magnitude faster than the maximum speed of the
line between house and exchange, assuming low contention(*).

Hugo.

(*) OK, not necessarily a good assumption, but let's assume that the
ISP in question is sufficiently gung-ho about throttling heavy users.

  --- Anyone who says their system is completely secure understands ---
                      neither systems nor security.