Re: [Hampshire] Disk mounting locations

Author: Steve Kemp
To: linux, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Disk mounting locations
On Fri Jun 05, 2009 at 12:09:23 +0100, Leo wrote:

> options, as I see it, are:
> 1. Mount the disk directly in /home/me/Music.
> 2. Mount the disk in /mnt/Music and link /home/me/Music to it.
> 3. Mount the disk in /mnt/Music and bind /home/me/Music to it.
>
> Is there a standard/prefered way of doing this?

Conventionally you'd probably mount it to /mnt, or /media
then symlink that to your preferred location.

I have a similar disk with music, and it is mounted at
/mnt/music. Then I have ~/mp3/ symlinked to /mnt/music/mp3
and similarly I have ~/ogg/ symlinked to the disk.

The disk itself is mounted read-only, as I rarely add new
music to it. (I've ripped all the albums I own and I rarely
buy new ones these days. Sometimes I download new tunes
but very very rarely.)

If you plan to share the disk(s) via samba it makes sense
to mount them somewhere "global" so using "/mnt", or
"/home/music" makes sense, but using "~me/music" doesn't.

Still at the end of the day you can choose your location
yourself..

Steve
--
Managed Anti-Spam Service