Re: [Hampshire] RAID and LVM boot disks

Author: Paul Tansom
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] RAID and LVM boot disks
** Alan Pope <alan@???> [2009-06-02 18:47]:
> 2009/6/2 Paul Tansom <paul@???>:
> > Yes, that's what I'll be doing to then create a customised CD if I go down that
> > route. The idea is that this is easy to use without an internet connection or
> > too much fiddling around, so support needs to be already on the CD.
>
> USB stick, that way it's modifiable.
>
> You can turn an Ubuntu Live CD into a bootable modifiable USB stick
> easily with unetbootin. It's in the repo and is cross platform.

** end quote [Alan Pope]

Yes, I did think I hadn't mentioned USB sticks as I sent that, but an article
I've got about modifying the boot CD was on my mind at the time. I've also had
no luck actually booting of any of the 3 or for distributions I've installed
across 3 USB sticks using unetbootin - PCLinuxOS, Ubuntu 9.04 and I can't
remember the others, Puppy possibly. I have a fairly high fail rate with boot
CDs, and now USB boots. Knoppix is the worst (I'm sure I must have booted it on
something, but I can't remember off hand and I've not tried since v3.1 until
now with v5.1), Morphix didn't do too badly (I used to keep a copy handy, but
my most used boot CD is the LinuxBBC disk which is CLI only), and Ubuntu does
better when I use the safe graphics mode. The only successful installs I've
had of Ubuntu off the live CD have been onto my new Atom 330 boards, I've had
to use the alternate CD for everything else. To be fair this is likely down to
nVidia graphics cards on some machines and old hardware on others. Although
having said that about nVidia graphics cards, it was Ubuntu that saved me some
time getting installed onto a machine with nVidia chipsets for PATA/SATA, NIC
and graphics a while back.

Registered in England | Company No: 4905028 | Registered Office: