Re: [Hampshire] P2P backup cloud (Was Re: Keeping My Hard Dr…

Author: john lewis
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] P2P backup cloud (Was Re: Keeping My Hard Drives Safe)
On Tue, 2 Jun 2009 13:21:46 +0000
Andy Smith <andy@???> wrote:

<snipped>

> The word has been handed down, No More Computers Until There Is More
> Space :(

I suspected there was a 'SHMBO' somewhere in the background. I too
cannot add more 'stuff' to our existing setup (currently 3 computers
running 24x7 plus a couple of laptops used as & when). Not because of
space in my case but because leccy bills make her wince and hers is
one of the computers in that list.

<snipped>

> I think it would be cheaper than this for me to pay someone to host
> an old PC with a decent amount of disks in it on the end of their
> broadband, but there is some hassle in working out how much it will
> cost them in power and working it so it doesn't stomp on their own
> Internet usage. If they only have 1 IP then there would also have
> to be some NAT shenanigans.
>
> It may be cheaper to use Amazon S3 than the above.
>
> Every street should have a data silo. :)

I have several spare IPs and could create a dmz to use one of them if
it wasn't for the cost consequence. I'd worry about security of that
system if it was thrown open to 'street' usage without a 'firewall box'
in between the adsl modem and the 'data box' so that means two extra
boxes rather than one I think (unless the two functions can safely be
combined in one).

I wouldn't have to worry about usage as checking current usage I
see that I have only used 1% (one percent) of my download allowance but
speed of access might be a problem as it isn't a very fast connection.

However cost and the increased noise level would be good reasons for not
doing this sort of thing.

--
John Lewis
using Debian Sid with windowmaker for a nicer desktop