Re: [Hampshire] Topfield with Linux

Author: John Cooper
To: lug, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Topfield with Linux
Damian Brasher wrote:
> We finally decided to take the plunge and between us bought a PVR and went
> for a Topfield, I am upgrading the EPG using the TAP, Topfield application
> system, using a window box as a quick fix for now. The EPG is hard to read
> and there are some much better and less cumbersome EPG's available for free.
>
> The cool thing about Topfield is the TAP and PC interface and a community of
> code contributors, some releases are free some are not.
>
> I see that there are some options out there to use Linux, perhaps with a
> secondary ethernet converter or even build a headless low power Mini ITX box
> permanently attached to the PVR and network instead. Potentially I could log
> in to the connected Linux box from anywhere and schedule uploads and
> downloads of past TV broadcasts and items broadcast online as well as use the
> music file capabilities.
>
> If someone here uses Linux to regularly access, maintain and transfer files
> to and from a Topfield PVR I would be interested to hear how?
>
> Thanks, Damian

I haven't tried using Linux with it yet but I do recommend installing
MyStuff using the automatic installer. It will also update the FW with
the channel bug fix (>1000 channel ids listed). Once installed, it is
far superior than any PVR. Humax needs to get their act together to
match this (I've just got their Freesat PVR, nearly as bad as their
freeview PVR).

John.

Discover Linux - Open Source Solutions to Business and Schools
http://discoverlinux.co.uk