Re: [Hampshire] [hardware] RAID5 - hardware or software,base…

Author: Ian Park
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [hardware] RAID5 - hardware or software,based?
On Mon, 18 May 2009 11:21:14 +0100 Bob Dunlop wrote:
8<----------------------------------------------------------------------
Been running a 4 drive software RAID5 at work for a couple of years now
on a 2.4GHz Intel Core2 processor. The software overhead hasn't been
noticeable so I guess you'd have no problems either. SATA x4 straight
off the motherboard.
8<----------------------------------------------------------------------

Ah, thanks, that's very reassuring - I won't bother to spend the money
on an Adaptec controller then! I notice that Adaptec recommend that you
*don't* use "desktop" drives with the 3405, because (to paraphrase)
they're not good enough - you should use "enterprise class" drives,
which rather contradicts the "inexpensive" part of the RAID acronym...

Cheers

Ian
--
Ian Park