Re: [Hampshire] Graphics Tablets

Author: Richard Danter
To: paul, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Graphics Tablets
Hi Paul,

2009/5/14 Paul Stimpson <paul@???>:
> Hi,
>
> IIUC the Wacom Bamboo is intended as a pointing device and for signing word processor documents. I believe it  is a poor choice for graphics work as it has relatively few levels of pressure sensitivity and this can lead to visible banding when painting.

It is also cheap and since for work all it is needed for is
"whiteboarding" I guess it is a good option there.

> I have a Wacom Intuos II USB which is from their professional range and (I think) has 1024 levels of pressure sensitivity. I picked it up cheap, used at a sale and it works out of the box on every Ubuntu I've had. eBay is probably your friend here :)

Hmm, I wonder if I can expense an eBay purchase...? ;o)

How big is the Intuos drawing area? Or is there a range of sizes? If
so, what size would you recommend?

>  The only thing you have to do to make a Wacom work is find the extended controller section in GIMP preferences and enable all the tools you have for your Wacom to make the pressure sensitivity work. Note that if your Wacom pen has 2 ends (a stylus and an eraser) that both need to be enabled separately.  It will function as a dumb (he's pressing / he's not) mouse if it's not been enabled.

Thank you!

Rich

--
http://radanter.deviantart.com/