[Hampshire] Mailing List Bahaviour

Top Page
Author: Hants LUG Chairman
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x57d50100.hantslug.org.uk.4063': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Tue Apr 28 22:43:14 2009 BST
gpg: using DSA key 019AD0D8166C4BF0
I think the recent mailing list behaviour has got out of hand and we need to
stop and think for a few seconds.

1) Most people are happy if a few jobs are posted now and then to the list, as
long as they are real jobs, clearly marked and not silly fishing emails or
other commercial spam.

2) Everyone is entitled to their opinion, to think what they like and do as
they please. However, the list is public and read by people of all ages and
so I would hope that everyone can express themselves using language that is
professional and appropriate for a mixed public audience.

3) Sometime it's worth pausing before putting fingers to keyboard, because we
all may type something we regret later. Either we say something we wish we
didn't, or say it in a way we did not intend. I've done this myself and it
can seriously upset people and make you feel like a real fool.

The mailing list FAQ and tips pages contain many suggestions and I think there
is no ambiguity about the basic concept of being polite and helpful.