Re: [Hampshire] JOB: Senior Security Engineer | LOCATION: Lo…

Author: Phillip Chandler
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] JOB: Senior Security Engineer | LOCATION: London, England, UK

On Tue, 2009-04-28 at 21:25 +0100, John Cooper wrote:
> Tony Whitmore wrote:
> > Rik,
> >
> > Rik wrote:
> >> The apt response to this is YOU <deleted>
> >
> > This behaviour and language is totally inappropriate for a LUG and
> > mailing list which tries to be a welcoming and accepting place. I
> > sincerely hope that no-one trying to get an impression of Hampshire LUG
> > sees your reaction and assumes the general character of the LUG to be
> > aligned with your behaviour.
> >
> > Maybe there are things we don't know behind your outburst (it seems you
> > have been awake since the small hours this morning, for example) but
> > unless an apology is forthcoming, it feels appropriate that the
> > necessary steps given in section 9.4 of the constitution be implemented.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Tony Whitmore
> >
> In support of what Rik actually said, ie. the post clearly had JOB in
> the title to allow filtering, I don't see he needs to apologise for
> using a strong tone in answering the initial response. I took it as him
> being annoyed. I wouldn't personally use the word Nazi, but perhaps
> younger people do use it and our use of words is constantly changing
> with each generation.
>
> John.

Being one of those members who likes to read the posts, and gain
knowledge from others answering questions, but not yet experienced
enough to offer advice on most linux OS topics.

But Im one of those who believes that certain words dont lose their
meaning with each new generation. Other detrimental words could be
"Paki" "Nigger" "Faggot" "Polak" "Kike" "Towel Head" etc.

Rik himself is the only one who really knows if the word "Nazi" was
really needed for his opinion. But, alas, I feel that he should have
kept that to himself, and my impression of some of the other replies, is
that other lug members may feel the same.

Sorry to have a dig at you Rik, if you wanna tell me to butt out and get
more informed, please feel free to email me direct, just help me to
understand, job postings really wasnt "That" bad was it ?

In the age of the web, and "You've been Denzelled" etc, stuff tends to
outlive people and then gets turned around.