Re: [Hampshire] Remote copy of Firefox?

Author: Dr A. J. Trickett
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Remote copy of Firefox?
On Fri, 24 Apr 2009 at 11:41:38AM +0100, Stephen Rowles wrote:
> > Does anyone know if there are there any GPL equivalents to this
> >
> > I want to give (Windows) desktop users access to a remote copy of the
> > Firefox web browser running on a firewalled and sandboxed Linux server.
> > Basically I need a multi-user X server combined with a VNC or RDP
> > server. I don't want a whole remote Linux desktop, just a remote
> > Firefox window for several users.
> >
> > Simon
>
> I think what you want is xrdp:
>
> http://xrdp.sourceforge.net/
>
> Simply install a linux distro, set up users, they log in using windows
> remote desktop client with their own userid and password.
>
> Suse has a package that seems to work perfectly out of the box, I've not
> quite got it configured right yet.. I can connect via remote desktop but
> cannot actually get an X session :)

Not that I run Windows boxes myself, but I have been able to get
xrdp to work quite well, in that a Windows VM conncted to my Linux
systems and was able to do stuff. Normally I'd use Cygwin/X but
xrdp is probably more familair to Windows users and easier to deal
with.

--
Adam Trickett
Overton, HANTS, UK

The problem with cruel and unusual punishment is that you have to keep
being creative.  For example, some may call it cruel and unusual to turn
a spammer into spam, but by the time you feed the hundredth into the
woodchipper it's become quite usual.
    -- Anthony de Boer in the Monastery