Re: [Hampshire] Linux RSS feed readers and aggregators

Top Page
Author: Hugo Mills
To: lug, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Linux RSS feed readers and aggregators

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x57071100.hantslug.org.uk.4928': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Fri Apr 24 11:16:30 2009 BST
gpg: using DSA key 20ACB3BE515C238D
On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 10:56:18AM +0100, Damian Brasher wrote:
> Can anyone recommend a Linux desktop RSS reader/aggregator?

I use the Brief plugin in Firefox. Put all your RSS feeds as "Live
bookmarks" into a bookmarks directory in Firefox, then point Brief at
it. It will update the feeds at regular intervals, and pop up a small
box to tell you that it's found new updates. It puts an icon in the
toolbar and/or status bar that pops up the Brief UI in a new browser
tab. It tracks what you've read, and can give you either the summary
(within the Brief UI), or the full article (in a new tab).

> Ideally a Gnome or GTK application that I can place in an unused section of
> my desktop measuring about 1.5cm high x 9cm wide. Even better it scrolls the
> news feeds from left to right, always remains on top and all the links in the
> stories are click-able.

Brief doesn't really work at all like that, but I find it does the
job for me very well.

Hugo.

    --- "I will not be pushed,  filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, ---
               debriefed or numbered.  My life is my own."