Re: [Hampshire] Creating a minimal sized disk image (Virtual…

Author: Sean Gibbins
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Creating a minimal sized disk image (VirtualBox)
Stephen Rowles wrote:
>> On Tue, 21 Apr 2009 08:22:22 +0100 (BST), stephen@??? said:
>>

>>> Just trying to get across the point that I cannot
>>> afford any downtime right now
>>>
>> My point entirely.
>>

> Not wanting to flog a dead horse here... but I still don't get your point.
>
> All you have said is:
>
> "- what do you gain if you are successful in your mission?
> - what do you lost if you trash the hard disk?"
>
> I already know that the 2nd point is a risk. If I didn't know it was a
> risk I wouldn't have posted, twice before now, that I know it is a risk.
> All I am trying to do is find a way to do it that is completely
> non-destructive.
>
> So what exactly is your point? Are you saying that you don't think there
> is any gain to this endeavour and hence you won't help? (I didn't realise
> I should have posted a business case to justify my request for help).

Actually, it's good advice.

To add to it I would say that if you're neck's on the block and this is
effectively a production machine, then only something that is more
urgent than your current project should take precedence over it. If it's
not more important then I'd stall it until after the project is
complete, unless I had some way of getting back up to speed /very/
quickly should messing about with partitions go horribly wrong.

Sean

--
The computer can't tell you the emotional story. It can give you the exact mathematical design, but what's missing is the eyebrows.
Frank Zappa