Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Email query

Author: Steve Kemp
To: linux, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Email query
On Wed Apr 15, 2009 at 22:35:09 +0100, Leo wrote:

> I've got a domain registered (call it, mydomain.org.uk) with an email
> address set up on it (say, email@???). I recently received
> an email addressed to aname@???. However, in the
> header of the email it said:
>     by ...
>     for email@???

> Can someone explain how it got to me. I understand you can put what you
> like in the "from" field, by I thought the "to" field had to be valid.

There are two values involved in setting the recipient:

    1.  The envelope address.
    2.  The address visible in the "To:" field of the mail header.

As you say the From: field doesn't have to be valid (by which we
mostly mean the envelope-sender address doesn't match the contents
of the "From:" header).

In the same way the contents of the "To:" field don't have to match
the envelope address - and have no real bearing on anything.

If you're not familiar with SMTP then this is an understandable source
of confusion. In the mail-sending process the remote host connects to
your mailserver and sends commands like:

HELO my.hostname.com
MAIL FROM: <foo@???>
RCPT TO:<email@???>
DATA