Re: [Hampshire] Choice of home wireless network set-up

Author: Simon Capstick
To: adam.trickett, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Choice of home wireless network set-up
Dr A. J. Trickett wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Apr 2009 at 09:13:29AM +0100, Stephen Rowles wrote:
> <cuts/>
>
>> I have also seen various issues similar to wireless where depending on
>> your cabling etc. you will probably not get the quoted speeds. There is
>> quite an overhead, similar to wireless, and you rarely get the full
>> throughput. A guy I worked with looked at supposedly 100meg homeplug
>> adapters but in reality they could not provide enough bandwidth to stream
>> high def video over (which was the whole reason for buying them) despite
>> in theory there being enough headroom to do so.
>>
>> I would say homeplug is a good replacement for wireless, but not a good
>> replacement for ethernet cables and a switch.
>
> I'd have to agree. HomePlug 200AV is decent technology and fine
> for simple point to point use, e.g. browsing and email. It is more
> reliable than WiFi but it is not a replacment for decent Gig
> Ethernet over proper CAT6 cable.

I've just switched the other way because WiFi was proving to be more
reliable than homeplug. I have appliances that reduce the bandwidth of
the homeplug to 500kbps, and one gives packet loss of 70% (treadmill).
Since I use VoIP I had to switch to WiFi to maintain call quality, which
has since proved very reliable (using two Linksys Wireless-G access
points).

Simon C.