Re: [Hampshire] Choice of home wireless network set-up

Author: James Courtier-Dutton
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Choice of home wireless network set-up
2009/4/13 Lisi <hantslug@???>:
> I have looked at the thread last year about which router people recommended,
> but would be grateful if people felt able to comment on these - or add any
> others that I ought to have included.  I would be grateful for both
> favourable and unfavourable feedback.  I am particularly interested in
> reliability and reach.
>
> Netgear DG834G¹
> I have this myself and am very pleased with it.  But our house is on only two
> floors and has thin walls.  How does it perform where penetration is more
> difficult, with three floors and thick walls?  I have read the reviews and
> they are mixed, with some adverse comments on reliability.

I have one of these. It is the sky tv provided one. It seems to work
well, without too many problems.

> Netgear-DG834PN-RangeMax-MIMO-G-Wireless²
> This sounds ideal.  But I would like a bit of feedback if anyone has had
> experience of it.  It may not match what is claimed for it.

I have one of these. Very similar to teh DG834G for a web ui
perspective. It seems quite good. But, if I was purchasing one now, I
would go for one that supports the N standard as that should be even
better. As a general rule, no wireless tech gets through thick walls
at all. I find that just installing more wireless access points around
the house is better. I just put them in the attic and trail cat5e
between them. NetworkManager seems to be able to automatically switch
between the APs depending on where I sit in the house.