Re: [Hampshire] What is a Shuttle PC?

Author: Sean Gibbins
To: hlug090104, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] What is a Shuttle PC?
Rik wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-04-13 at 07:32 +0100, Stephen Rowles wrote:
>
>> Rob Malpass wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all
>>>
>>> I've done a bit of googling but (apart from the obvious shape of the
>>> case) what's so special about a shuttle PC?
>>>
>>> I'm looking to put together a new machine with quite a bit of grunt
>>> (6Gb RAM+ and as fast a CPU as I can afford). The only other real
>>> specification I need is that it can handle dual monitors. Aside from
>>> that, standard sound is ok, as is standard network. A front USB port
>>> would be handy but no other major requirements. I intend to dual
>>> boot Ubuntu and Vista and the main thrust of the machine's work will
>>> be video editing (hence the RAM, CPU and graphics).
>>>
>>> Physical space is an issue but is there anything else to watch out
>>> for? I notice for instance that lots of Shuttle PCs have only 275W
>>> power supplies - presumably the case can't take any more hardware so a
>>> stronger PSU isn't an issue - is that right?
>>>
>>> TIA - I promise I have done a lot of googling on this but not turned
>>> up the one answer I need - why buy a shuttle PC as opposed to a
>>> traditional tower?
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>> Rob
>>>
>> If what your really want is a small form factor case, there are plenty
>> of ways you can do this yourself without paying the Shuttle premium. Now
>> of course you don't get the convinience of a ready built machine etc.
>> but it will save you some money :)
>>
>> There are places like:
>>
>> http://www.mini-itx.com/store/?c=47
>>
>> and
>>
>> http://linitx.com/
>>
>> Both of which I have ordered parts from in the past will sort you out
>> with a small form factor case, mini-itx / mini-atx mother boards, etc.
>> to build your own small form factor PC. Not sure how much memory you
>> will easy fit as most boards only have 1 or 2 dimm slots, but worth
>> looking into.
>>
>> I have built myself a small server based around a case similar to this:
>>
>> http://linitx.com/viewproduct.php?prodid=10543
>>
>> And a media centre based around one of these cases:
>>
>> http://www.mini-itx.com/store/?c=3#media
>>
>> which have both run fine. But I've had not serious CPU horse power
>> requirements :)
>>

> I can happily recommend this case;
>
> http://www.ebuyer.com/product/135582
> (also sold in Maplin in a similar guise for £20 more)
>
> It's just a little larger than a Shuttle but will house a MicroATX Mobo
> which gives lots more flexibility than those horrible miniITX things.
> Spit-YUK...

Easy there Rik - horses for courses and all that! :-)

Although in this case I must agree that mini-ITX is definitely /not/ the
way to go - well under spec in almost every way. mATX is almost
certainly the best bet when it comes to flexibility, size and cost. The
DNUK machine [1] already mentioned looks like a good starting point for
someone not happy with sourcing and assembling the components. I'd be
interested to see what a similarly spec'ed machine costs when bought
from ebuyer and assembled at home.

> It will take a normal size PSU, full height cards and looks pretty good
> too boot. The whole MOBO tray slides out making building simple and
> stress free. It has a nice big QUITE fan on it and I can hardly hear
> mine running. It should give you all the room you need to do just what
> you want.
>
> I've been down the shuttle root (about five years ago) and I could never
> get over the noise, instability and generally pain in the butt assembly
> was. They may well be better now for all I know. The 'math' tells me
> that I can buy a whole load of parts for the difference in the cost of
> the two :-)

I think there came a point around that time where a lot of the issues
you mention were addressed. My Shuttles weren't overly noisy and
certainly weren't unstable. I agree that care and attention was needed
when it came to assembly in order to overcome the difficulties of
working with standard components in a restricted space. However, they
are overpriced in comparison with the alternatives though, especially
when the limited upgrade potential (constrained by the motherboard) is
taken into account.

If cost is a factor then the case you mention looks pretty good. If
there's more cash available for this aspect of the build then I'd
consider an Antec mATX case as an alternative.

Sean

[1] https://secure.dnuk.com/systems/configure/d500.php

--
The computer can't tell you the emotional story. It can give you the exact mathematical design, but what's missing is the eyebrows.
Frank Zappa