Re: [Hampshire] What is a Shuttle PC?

Author: Sean Gibbins
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] What is a Shuttle PC?
Samuel Penn wrote:
> On Sunday 12 April 2009 14:50:56 Rob Malpass wrote:
>
>> TIA - I promise I have done a lot of googling on this but not turned up the
>> one answer I need - why buy a shuttle PC as opposed to a traditional tower?
>>

> As Sean said, form factor is possibly the biggest advantage.

And pose! ;-)

> I've never used them to do much more than simple firewall/web server
> tasks, so no idea how well they perform for heavy duty work loads.
> Because of their small size, it can sometimes be tricky to fit
> PCI cards into them
>
> Recently I've been looking at these:
>
> https://secure.dnuk.com/systems/configure/d500.php

Interestingly, that's an Antec micro-ATX case - I was going to suggest
something similar (I have two two Antec cases here and love 'em!) as an
alternative to a Shuttle.

With 8GB RAM and a decent graphics card that comes out at around £800 on
the 'configurator', which I guess is not bad for a compact, powerful
machine. I suspect that you could buy the various bits and pieces and
make a reasonable saving on that price if you felt confident with
assembling it. The case is about £100 retail.

Sean

--
The computer can't tell you the emotional story. It can give you the exact mathematical design, but what's missing is the eyebrows.
Frank Zappa