Re: [Hampshire] Compatibilty issues installing 64 bit Oracle…

Top Page
Author: Hugo Mills
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Compatibilty issues installing 64 bit Oracle onto64-bit Ubuntu

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x57192100.hantslug.org.uk.20768': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Sat Apr 4 17:59:44 2009 BST
gpg: using DSA key 20ACB3BE515C238D
On Sat, Apr 04, 2009 at 05:46:53PM +0100, Victor Churchill wrote:
> 2009/4/4 Hugo Mills <hugo@???>:
> > and
> > so is throwing out the 64-bit libs it's finding on the search path.
> >
> >   One nasty option is to try hacking -L/lib32 into the makefile for
> > that particular command, and see what it does.
>
> Interestingly, after sending the OP I looked at:
> oracle@pe2950:~/install/database$ echo $LD_LIBRARY_PATH
> /usr/lib
>
> So I then said
> oracle@pe2950:~/install/database$ export
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH="/lib32:/usr/lib32:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH"
>
> and then re-ran the installer, but no difference in the result. (Not
> even in the list of "/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible" lines, which
> surprised me).

LD_LIBRARY_PATH is used by the *runtime* linker (ld.so) only, I
believe. So it won't have any effect on your current problem, which is
the *compile-time* linker (ld).

> I am trying to find the line in the make file that corresponds to this
> gcc line but that is itself quite hard. Does not seem to be quite
> where I thought, but it is of course all $(PARAMETER)ised.

This is often the case with complex make files, sadly. If you can
find the place where -lpthreads is set into a variable, you may be
able to tack the -L/lib32 -L/usr/lib32 on the end of that.

> <snip>
> >> INFO: /usr/bin/make: error while loading shared libraries:
> >> libpthread.so.0: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32
> >>
> >> So that's not what the 'incompatible' is about.
> >
> >   I suspect that that's *make* failing to start, as it's trying to
> > load the thread libs and having problems. So it might actually be a
> > viable solution to your build problem -- except that the build
> > tools themselves won't work if you do that. :(
>
> Now /that/ made me think for 30 seconds and then ... well, my
> keyboard needed a clean anyway ;-)

:)

Hugo.

        --- Summoning his Cosmic Powers, and glowing slightly ---
                            from his toes...