Re: [Hampshire] Default X size with no screen attached

Author: Sean Gibbins
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Default X size with no screen attached
Simon Reap wrote:
> I have an aged Dell GX110 under my desk, with an integrated i180
> chipset, which I normally run headless. I do have a nearby screen that
> I sometimes plug in (a Dell P1110). When I boot the machine with the
> screen plugged in and it starts X, it happily sets the resolution to
> 1280x1024 (the screen's max resolution). If I boot without the screen
> plugged in, the resolution is set to 640x480.
>
> I run x11vnc on the system so that I can access it remotely (over the
> Internet, or from my laptop sitting on top of the desk that the Dell is
> under). The trouble is that if I boot it without the screen attached,
> the x11vnc screen is also 640x480.
>
> Is there a way to set that default resolution higher (1024x768, or
> 1280x1024)? The system is using /etc/X11/xorg.conf, which I can make
> available if necessary, but I was hoping that there was some generic
> setting that I could make.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Many thanks in advance,
> Simon

Hi Simon.

I have a headless mini-itx box that I run as a server. When I want a gui
session I log in over ssh and type the following:

    vncserver :1 -geometry 1280x768

I then connect to the box with:

    vncviewer zoidberg:1.0

Prior to that I had some horrible default, now I have a window that sits
nicely within my 1440 x 900 display.

Sean

--
The computer can't tell you the emotional story. It can give you the exact mathematical design, but what's missing is the eyebrows.
Frank Zappa