Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Vinyl Ripping Issue

Author: Sean Gibbins
To: hlug090104, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Vinyl Ripping Issue
Rik wrote:
> Vinyl gives better reproduction than CD. I wish I could point to where
> that is specifically defined, but in the old vinyl-v-cd wars that have
> gone on over the years that always seems to emerge. Possibly something
> to do with sound being analogue and vinyl being an analogue medium. It
> does not tend to suffer all of that rounding of ADC's. The flip of that
> is most stuff is recorded (these days) on digital equipment. I still
> occasionally press a run of 12 inch singles (I find they just sell
> easier than CD's or downloads) and it has all been mastered in the
> digital domain. So, horses for courses. CD is another transient media.
> It is fairly pointless and limited in quality, lifespan and durability.
> I still have records from the 1950s that play clearly. I have plenty of
> tea-stained destroyed CD's from the 80's that remain un-played. I don't
> think I would define that as 'better'.

Ah, you must've been watching that episode of Tomorrow's World where
they spread jam on a CD and proceeded to play it!

Seriously though, tea-stained CDs? How do they compare against albums
that have had a hot cup of tea stood on them? :-)

Is it fair to say that poor-quality or poorly-stored media will degrad
regardless of format? I have had new vinyl albums that have degraded
quickly despite careful handling and good, well-maintained equipment.
Same goes for CDs that have gone weird on me.

I think there are too many variables in the listening equipment, both
technological and biological, to make any comparison meaningful. Besides
that the outcome of the debate is highly unlikely to make a meaningful
difference in the music stores, and whilst that's not a reason to stop
debating it for fun, there's certainly no point in getting lathered up
over it (not implying for a moment that you were there Rik - just
speaking in general terms!).

I know what I like and thankfully it's available out there for me to buy
and enjoy, along with many alternatives, including one of my current
favourites, downloads of live music recordings from Dimeadozen. I have
heard some sublime music in a format that would no doubt make purists
weep, but for me it's more about the music than the quality of
reproduction. I have standards, but they are set suitably low enough to
let me enjoy pretty much anything played with enthusiasm, energy and
passion!

> As for the act of using Ubuntu (or Linux) to put vinyl to CD. It's
> pretty flawless. I've happily had various M-Audio hardware (delta range)
> work with Linux. Currently the cheerful USB Behringer soundcard works
> without any installation on Ubuntu. They have just released a version
> with a phone preamp in it too. Runs at about £25.(lots of the old
> non-phono line only ones expected to drop in price I guess?). The one
> thing I would say is get a quartz locked turntable with a decent Ortofon
> or Shure cart. Go for stable speed and clean sound.

Worth knowing about the phono version if you are starting out. I might
investigate the USB one for myself.

Cheers,

Sean

--
The computer can't tell you the emotional story. It can give you the exact mathematical design, but what's missing is the eyebrows.
Frank Zappa