Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Vinyl Ripping Issue

Author: Vic
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Vinyl Ripping Issue

> Unfortunately vinyl hardware is expensive for
> sound that is better than cd.

Vinyl *isn't* better than CD. CD gives you much better fidelity.

Vinyl sounds more familiar to those of us of a certain age - but that's
because we're accustomed to the lack of fidelity in the medium. Even if we
prefer it, it's not what the original performance sounded like.

Of course, all that is obscured by the current vogue of trying to cook
one's supper with the clip lights during production...

> This put me off doing it with a PC so i am sticking with MiniDisc

Eh? You rank ATRAC compression as better fidelity than a moderate sound card?

Minidisc does many things well, but high fidelity is not amongst them[1].

Vic.

[1] Although it is very much better now than when I was working for a
certain Japanese consumer electronics company.