[Hampshire] F-spot wont start

Author: Tim
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] F-spot wont start

I have installed F-spot via synaptics but when I try to start it, it appears in
the taskbar and the mouse pointer changes then after 10 seconds it reverts back
to normal and no program start. If I try starting it from a console I get

mit@Titan:~$ f-spot
** No session dbus found. Starting one **
/usr/bin/f-spot: line 70: exec: dbus-launch: not found

I am running Mepis 8 (debian lenny) with KDE 3.5.10, when it installed it
installed a host of Gnome packages.

While I get the gist of what the error means (dbus not launching) how do I
resolve

Tim