Re: [Hampshire] DIY RAID - quick answer required

Top Page
Author: Hugo Mills
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] DIY RAID - quick answer required

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x576e7100.hantslug.org.uk.20695': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Fri Mar 20 15:13:42 2009 GMT
gpg: using DSA key 20ACB3BE515C238D
On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 03:07:01PM -0000, Rob Malpass wrote:
> Is it possible to setup RAID (RAID 1 I think is what I'm after
> i.e. same data gets sent to 2 separate drives simultaneously) across
> two drives where one is internal PATA IDE (and indeed this wil be
> the drive the system boots from) and one is external USB?

Yes. As long as the devices are standard Linux block devices, you
can make RAID volumes out of whatever you want -- internal drives, USB
drives, memory sticks, floppy drives, network block devices, loopback
devices, you name it...(*)

However, you may lose some performance from having two different
speed drives -- the whole system will probably run at the speed of the
slowest device, on average.

Hugo.

(*) I'm not implying that it's a good idea to use some of those
options; simply that it's possible.

  --- I am but mad north-north-west:  when the wind is southerly, I ---
                       know a hawk from a handsaw.