Re: [Hampshire] Video compression

Top Page
Author: Hugo Mills
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Video compression

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x57a58100.hantslug.org.uk.420': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Sat Dec 13 13:29:46 2008 GMT
gpg: using DSA key 20ACB3BE515C238D
On Sat, Dec 13, 2008 at 01:20:10PM -0000, Rob Malpass wrote:
> These are all standard def VHS recordings - youngest is only 5 years old but
> the eldest is 20 years. Last time I played them, the quality was ok. The
> older tapes were recorded from a UHF source, but everything 10 years or
> younger would have come from digital. The content is sport so there is a
> lot of movement (well some would probably argue with that but we have to
> assume movement - to record in lossy compression would be a false economy).

Pretty much *every* video compression standard is lossy in some
way. I suspect that you probably mean something more specific than
simply "lossy" in your last sentence.

Also, you have an analogue recording, so the digitalness of the
original source means nothing, other than you'll have two separate
sets of transmission artefacts on the recording -- one set from the
original digital transmission, and one set from your recording to tape
(neither is likely to be intrusive, and the analogue recording will
probably have smoothed out some of the digital artefacts in the
process, but they'll still be there).

Hugo.

         --- Unix: For controlling fungal diseases in crops. ---