Re: [Hampshire] Don't tell Bill

Author: Daniel Pope
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Don't tell Bill
On Mon, Dec 08, 2008 at 09:49:15AM +0000, Alan Bell wrote:
> I have changed the site a bit, it is now based on WordPress, the home
> page isn't there yet but take a look at http://donttellbill.com/test it
> is somewhat broken in IE at the moment but that is fixable. There is a
> new logo which I would be interested in comments about.
> Using WordPress means we can use the contribution and workflow bits and
> a consistent template whilst giving anyone who wants to play an easy
> editor and a free hand if they want to edit the HTML directly.

I remain to be convinced that building it on Wordpress will actually be
beneficial. I would stick with a static site kept in a public read-only
SVN repo. That way contributors can check out a copy of the site and
submit patches for consideration. It would raise the barriers for
contributors but ensure that submissions can be properly vetted and
tracked.

Another issue is this:
http://blog.mauveweb.co.uk/2007/10/20/misconfigure-your-browser/

The logo in the top-right is an interesting idea but ultimately the
B doesn't come out strongly enough. The silhouette is good though - it
would work just alongside the words "Don't tell Bill", without drawing
attention to the inverse B, a bit like the FedEx arrow (though the B
on it's own is much more meaningless than that).

The woman's face needs to be a smaller foreground image, I think. Of
course a large background image would look much glossier, but if you
think about how different browser window sizes will crop the face, it's
always going to look weird for someone at that kind of size. In practice
unusual layouts like that aren't actually terribly effective on the web.
Maybe head up the page with that image as part of a banner at around
600 × 350px?

Dan