Re: [Hampshire] Linux virtual machine inside Windows

Top Page
Author: Andy Smith
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Linux virtual machine inside Windows

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x56e44100.hantslug.org.uk.23783': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Thu Dec 4 18:40:43 2008 GMT
gpg: using DSA key 2099B64CBF15490B
On Thu, Dec 04, 2008 at 06:17:33PM +0000, trotter wrote:
> At 18:11 04/12/2008, you wrote:
> >Hi trotter,
> >
> >On Thu, Dec 04, 2008 at 05:54:00PM +0000, trotter wrote:
> > > I was wondering if a keylogger infection inside windows could
> > > read keystrokes in a Linux virtual OS. I was thinking of
> > > setting up a virtual Linux OS inside windows so when i want to
> > > purchase online or do some banking I wouldn't have to reboot
> > > into Linux.
> >
> >Should be fine as long as you also use a virtual keyboard so that
> >the keylogger in your Windows OS doesn't see the key presses. You
> >could possibly have one that was a keyboard image on the screen
> >inside another window, which you would click on to send the key
> >presses.
>
> Ahh yes, theres a virtual keyboard in Kapersky internet security.
> Thanks for the reminder.

See, they think of everything!

> Which brings up the possibility that theres malware that takes a screenshot
> which will also capture the virtual machine.

That's OK, try a virtual screen as well. Also you could try
deliberately doing boring things a lot to make any attackers who are
monitoring you fall asleep, and then quickly do some internet
banking or similar. You could call it an attention firewall!

> Hmm i think i have answered my own question then.

:-)

Cheers,
Andy