Re: [Hampshire] IBM X41 recovery CDs

Author: Antony
To: hampshire, surrey
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] IBM X41 recovery CDs
Dean Earley wrote:
> Does anyone here have a set of IBM X41 recovery CDs that I could use?
> I've recently had a hard disk die, taking its recovery partition with
> it... :)
>
> Failing that, is there any known way to reset the supervisor password?

According to this [1] the SVP is stored in eeprom not on disk, and it
can be decoded if the voodoo's right.

Could someone unfuddle me please about Lenovo's description of the user
and master HD passwords? I'd like to get an X40 if I can find one but I
don't feel entirely confident about how to check it out. Better still
is anyone bringing an X40/X41/X60 to the joint meeting with Surrey on
13th?

Anthony

[1] http://www.security-forums.com/viewtopic.php?t=23102