Re: [Hampshire] VirtualBox and Ifrared devices

Author: Steve
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] VirtualBox and Ifrared devices
On 16 Nov 2008, at 11:09, Alan Pope wrote:

> 2008/11/16 Hugo Mills <hugo@???>:
>> If you buy a USB IR device with Windows drivers, and map the USB
>> port into the guest, then I can see no reason why you couldn't install
>> the Windows drivers on the guest and have it all work.
>>

> Indeed, VirtualBox can be told the USB ID (gleaned from lsusb on the
> host) of the device it should present to the guest. I have done this
> with my TomTom so that I can put map updates on the device from within
> an XP virtual machine.

Hi,

I'm trying to get the mapping to work correctly with my TomTom first,
and I seem to be having a few problems.

I've been able to create a filter within VirtualBox, and it appears to
see the USB id of the device when creating the filter, although oddly I
can't see anything in lsusb. At least I assume it's the correct device,
as the only other thing I have connected via USB is my keyboard and
VirtualBox is not taking control of that.

However, the Windows XP guest never actually sees the device. Any
pointers?

Cheers,
Steve