Re: [Hampshire] Serial to USB dongle

Author: Bob Dunlop
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Serial to USB dongle
Hi,

On Tue, Nov 25 at 10:48, Vic wrote:

> My experience of USB to serial on Linux has been really boring. You plug
> the thing in, and you get a serial port. Not like Windows users, with all
> that messing around with driver installation, the lucky gits...

Okay I have a puzzle for you. Plug 56 of them into one machine (the
extreme case I know, but we regularly do 24+) how do you easily
assign each port to a known entry in /dev ?

At present each time we put a machine together we have to trawl through
getting each ports serial number and manually generating udev rules.
A method of using udev with USB that mapped the physical wiring of units
is what we need but I've yet to find it.

--
        Bob Dunlop