Re: [Hampshire] EEE pc compatibility

Author: Steve Kemp
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] EEE pc compatibility
On Sat Nov 22, 2008 at 12:03:33 +0000, pavithran wrote:

>    I am planning to buy a eee pc.
>    I would like to know about the compatibility of eee pc especially the 901
>    series in GNU /Linux distributions.

I bought one on Thursday. It arrived today. It is currently
running Debian GNU/Linux just fine :)

>    Though its bundled with Xandros . I would like to install debian or
>    gnewsense .
>    Do do we we get the free(gpl'ed) drivers for eee pc ?

So far all looks good. I'm using the RT2860-modules package to
get the wireless working, and the camera works just fine too.

>    And how is the performance ? Can we do simple tasks like document
>    processing ( OO is slow and should obviously be slower in eee) and
>    probably code some PHP . Hope I could run apache with mysql on it :)

I'm running apache on it, just because I can. Performance isn't
amazing, but it is good enough.

I'm still finding the fat-finger problem the biggest downside.

>    Finally where do we get them in southampton ?

Amazon?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-Netbook-Linux-Preloaded-White/dp/B001C9UTKO

Steve