Re: [Hampshire] OLPC B1G1 - UK RIP Off.

Author: Stephen Davies
To: Laura Cowen
CC: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] OLPC B1G1 - UK RIP Off.
Laura,
If you goto amazon.com, search for OLPC, select the B1G1 offer ($399)
you will see that it is shipped within the US Free using Amazon Super
Saver Delivery.

Amazon will be shipping at least one container of these devices to the
UK/Europe and they will distribute them from here. There is no way given
the current costs of shiping a 40ft container from the Far East to the
UK (cira £500.00 per Container) they can justify charging such an high
percentage of the overall cost for delivery.

I recently bought a piece of camera gear from Hong Kong. It weighed
3.5kg. The cost to ship it air mail was less than half Amazon's £50.00.
This was AIL MAIL shipping. How can that be cheaper than Amazon shipping
a 40ft container by sea from the Far east and then using their normal
delivery system for order fulfillment.

It is still a rip off and I'm sorry to the laudible aims of the OLC
team, Amazon are (IMHO) taking the piss with the way they are selling
your device in the UK at least.

Stephen D