Re: [Hampshire] What is the PC to buy ?

Author: Stephen Rowles
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] What is the PC to buy ?
> 2008/11/17 Jon Wilks <jonnyx10e3@???>:
>> Thanks for the advice. Regarding what I want to use it for, I guess you
>> could consider me a power user and should have mentioned this at the
>> beginning. My current PC is an 8 year old Evesham that has had varous
>> mods
>> over the years and is overdue for replacement. I guess my original
>> question
>> was just to get a feel for what brands people are buying at the moment.
>>

> The problem with the brand question is that everyone has at least one
> horror story about one vendor. Whilst I have had great service from my
> Dell and rubbish service from Mesh, I'm sure someone else will say the
> exact opposite. Your mileage may vary, buyer beware :)

If it's any help, I (or rather family members) have had rubbish service
from both Mesh and Dell ;) (and the service has been that bad that I,
personally, wouldn't buy a machine from either company again). I have a
dell desktop machine at work and the ATI dual head graphics card is a
nightmare in Linux, very very picky and every kernel /driver update I have
several hours of nightmare trying to get it working correctly again.

On a laptop front, if I could have afforded it I would have bought a
Samsung. They seem very well put together and support Linux well.

Unfortunately I couldn't afford it, so I ended up with an Acer instead.
While I've had no real problems their spec is confusing and I ended up
with a laptop that didn't have an HDMI port, despite the website claiming
it did. After phoning their customer support nobody could give me a
straight answer (even when given the full model / serial number) as to
whether or not my particular model was supposed to have an HDMI port or
not! They suggested I send it to them but I decided not to risk it. I'm
not impressed with their customer support.

No idea about desktop PC brands, I've always built my own, allowing
careful choice of an appropriate processor, motherboard, memory, case etc.
All of that takes a lot more effort, but in my experience you get a much
better machine at the end of it.