Re: [Hampshire] Customised install on old computer - advice …

Author: Vic
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Customised install on old computer - advice needed

> The hardware:
> P 2 or 3, I think 3
> 64 MB RAM
> 20 GB HDD

I have a p2/233 with 32MB running Whitebox 3 (RHEL3 rebuild). I built it
to run Ethereal - and it does so perfectly.

My advice would be - don't.

Hardware is cheap these days. Trying to get something working in a small
amount of memory - whilst perfectly possible - is an exercise in
frustration. It's a lot of work, and what comes out the back end doesn't
impress as much as you feel it ought...

> Am I asking too much, or can anyone recommend a set-up? (Linux, of
> course.) I was hoping for a lightweight Lenny with OOo, Firefox and
> Thunderbird, but they are clearly non-starters.

Fluxbox and dillo are your friends. OOo takes 25 minutes to *start* on my
P2 laptop - and that's before you try to load a document.

> It is just possible that
> I could add more memory, but I can't bank on it.

I would. It's worth it...

Vic.