Re: [Hampshire] VirtualBox and Ifrared devices

Author: Stephen Rowles
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] VirtualBox and Ifrared devices
Hugo Mills wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 16, 2008 at 08:11:25PM +0000, Stephen Rowles wrote:
>
>> I've tried looking around and cannot find the answer, does anyone know
>> if it is possible to create a new VirtualBox machine running from an
>> existing hard disk install of an OS? I have a windows install that is up
>> and running with all my software installed and configured, it would be
>> great if I could just great an image of that drive then run it inside
>> VirtualBOX.
>>
>> Is that possible?
>>

>    Windows isn't likely to enjoy that. It'll see it as a complete
> change of hardware, and is likely not to boot. You may be able to
> persuade it to change all of its drivers to suitable ones using the
> repair facility of the Windows install disk, but I've never had much
> luck with that myself.

>    Linux will generally cope rather better, as long as you haven't
> built your own cut-down kernel for it.

>    Hugo.

To reply to my own post, I found a link to a VMWare tool that would
appear to allow you to create a virtual machine from an existing
physical machine. These VMWare images can then be converted to work in
VirtualBox (apparently)

http://www.petri.co.il/virtual_convert_physical_machines_to_virtual_machines_with_vmware_converter.htm

I might give this a try at work on Monday and see how it goes, if I get
anywhere I'll report back :)