Re: [Hampshire] Long Life Netbook style device

Author: Ian Park
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Long Life Netbook style device
Philip Stubbs <philip@???> wrote:
<snip>
With the recent proliferation of netbooks, it seems strange to me that
they seem to have such a short life on batteries. For something that
is designed to be used on the move, I would want it to work all day.

In fact, my wife has a very good use for such a device, but it would
only be really useful if it had at least a six hour life. All my wife
wants to do is take notes. However changing batteries multiple times,
is really not ideal.

Does anybody know of a netbook style device that can operate for this
sort of time? It only really needs a to be just big enough to have a
reasonable size keyboard to make it useful.
</snip>

For note taking, with a decent size keyboard and a good battery life,
you'll do a lot worse than a Psion Series 7 or Netbook. I still have a
Netbook - sold my Series 7 recently on ebay for £84. It would be worth a
look there. I know they're *discontinued*, but I'd be prepared to argue
about *obsolete*. The Psion has several other virtues, including instant
on, built in word processor, spreadsheet, ... and lots of free (as in
beer) software available on the web. The Series 7 is easily upgradable
to a Netbook, which supports several wireless network cards - I use an
Orinoco Wavelan Gold (also bought on ebay), which supports 802.11b and
128 bit WEP (not the latest and greatest wireless technology, but it works!

HTH

Ian
--
Ian Park