Re: [Hampshire] OLPC In Europe - At Last

Author: alan c
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] OLPC In Europe - At Last
Alan Bell wrote:
> It is nothing to do with recycling! the cost of the XO laptop is about
> $200 (yes, about twice what they were initially hoping for, partly
> because the dollar fell in value thanks to Bush) They are selling them
> on Amazon for $399 which is enough money to purchase 2 laptops. One goes
> to you, one goes to an educational project in a third world country.
> Apparently you may be able to offset the donated part of the price
> against tax. (personally I wouldn't bother)
>
> I bought an XO via america in the first round a year ago. It is great
> but now the design is a year old, not sure I would buy the same model at
> this stage because I am an early adopter and it isn't early any more.
> There are drawing board designs of the X0-2
> http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/fullimage.php?image=10509 which looks
> great, but not out until 2010.

I would guess that the 'old' design is an upgrade on some features in
the proposed design....?

The new design looks sleek, but the team behind it are not likely to
be the same, and surely do not have the original motives. With a
custom xp as goal and no sign of wireless ears or talk about being in
the middle of a rainforest piggy backing with other units to an access
point many kilometers away, and none of the suggestions of kids self
educating.
I will be surprised if the proposed units keep many of these features,
because they are not useful when 'education' is plugged into the XP
experience. Which is not the same kind of education at all.
--
alan cocks
Ubuntu user #10391