Re: [Hampshire] Wireless range

Author: Jacqui Caren
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Wireless range
Kevin Safford wrote:
> I occasionally work from home, accessing my firm's network
> through a tunnelled connection (VPN). I've given up using
> homeplug for that, and reverted to wireless; the VPN connection
> keeps dropping.
> Homeplug is fine for other uses.

Had a similar problem - the fault was a firewall failing to
sequence packet fragments - anything that got fragmented
ended up as gibberish at the other end on the IPSEC tunnel.

OK this was a windows firewall talking to an IPSEC tunnel
and I found the problem only when I switched the bloody SyGate
off (other windog FWs gave similar results).

*thinks*
The olter problem could be PPPoE often has a limit of 1492.
I *think* that if you connect via homeplug your larger packets
are fragmented and the fragments are not being sorted atthe
otehr end.
OR the VPN drivers (IPSEC) is injecting packets bigegr than PPPoE
can handle and they are being silently discarded by the ISP
(I know Zen do this from bitter experience - not thier fault
and itis documented in very small print somewhere).