Re: [Hampshire] Gentoo adaptec RAD controller hangs

Author: Nick Chalk
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Gentoo adaptec RAD controller hangs
Andy Smith <andy@???> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 10:32:54PM +0000, Nick Chalk wrote:
>> Chris Aitken <cs.aitken@???> wrote:
>> > System MTBF = component MTBF/n
>> > where n is # of components.
> The MTBF quoted above is for the failure of any
> component device, not of the RAID itself.

In that case, is not the MTBF of any one disk in
the array the same as the MTBF of one disk? Unless
there's some common factor that increases the
probability of multiple failures.

> It can be an interesting figure since running
> degraded is often painful and/or risky.

Indeed, although less risky in RAID 1 than 5.

Personally, I've always had a hot or cold spare to
hand for every RAID 5 array.

Nick.

--
Nick Chalk ................. once a Radio Designer
Confidence is failing to understand the problem.