Re: [Hampshire] Wireless range

Author: Richard Danter
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Wireless range
2008/11/11 john lewis <johnlewis@???>:
> On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 14:05:40 +0000
> "Richard Danter" <radanter@???> wrote:
>
>> > HomePlug via your electricity cables? We always use this around
>> > the house, although I have a wireless router. The wireless is
>> > used for guests or for setting wireless up to use elsewhere.
>>
>> HomePlug sounds like an interesting idea.
>
> an interesting idea it has to remain for me as we have nowhere
> near enough power outlets in our 1900 built house. Just to run our
> 'office' I have to use two 8way and one 4way extension leads to supply
> all those power bricks etc from the two double wall sockets.

I have 6 4-way power extensions in my home office. Was a little
worried about it so my wife asked the local fire station officer to
check it out. I was a little surprised when he said it was perfectly
safe and that he had seen MUCH worse. The only thing he didn't like
was the old-style brick 3-way adapter I was also using, which has
since been retired.

What was even more surprising was that he replaced a couple of smoke
detectors with 5 new 10-year detectors FOR FREE and told me they would
be back in 8 or 9 years to replace them all FOR FREE. Now that is what
I call a service! [sorry, getting a little off topic]

Rich