Re: [Hampshire] Carphone Warehouse

Author: Sean Gibbins
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Carphone Warehouse
Lisi wrote:
> On Friday I was informed by Carphone Warehouse in Petersfield that the Ubuntu
> Webbook has been withdrawn from sale. They even thought that they had still
> got some in the stockroom, but they are not allowed to sell them. :-( I had
> been intending to take someone in on Monday to look at one, which was why I
> noticed the absence.

I wonder if there is a factor whereby everyone thinks they can support
Windows (Carphone Warehouse staff included), but most of these people
are pretty clueless when it comes to Linux. You can just see the
confused customer going back to the point of sale for advice nd the
staff either bullshitting for all they are worth (I have experienced
this first hand when purchasing a netbook), or simply running for cover
or playing the "I only know about Windows!" card?

> Why? Because people were asking for Windows. Not much wonder if the
> salespeople were telling customers not to buy Linux. :-(

I'd give serious consideration to the Acer One if I were you Lisi, as it
is available from £174 upwards (depending on features) on Amazon and a
nice little machine and pretty intuitive when it comes to getting to
grips with the supplied apps. Of course, if you were after one of these
mobile broadband bundles then you may need to look elsewhere.

Sean