Re: [Hampshire] Which distro next?

Author: Lisi
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Which distro next?
On Friday 31 October 2008 21:53:50 B STEVENS wrote:
> If so, is that because it's like a Debian net install versionof PCLinuxOS?

No, it's a deliberately cut-down and faster version. Depending on what you
want to use it for, it could stand as is, as an OS and Desktop, plus some
included software. This is not true of a Debian net install, which
predicates that you will need to get at least some stuff off the internet in
order to be operational.

Even with the addition of a few extra programs (Thunderbird, Firefox and one
or two others) my husband finds it much faster than the full distro. There
is basically only one of anything. And that, on the whole, one of the
lighter versions. I have swapped one or two of the lighter versions for
something heavier weight but more operational. E.g. I uninstalled the very
unimpressive CD/DVD burner that there was already there, and installed K3b.
Much heavier, but it works so well that it was worth it.

HTH
Lisi