Re: [Hampshire] Netbook excitement

Top Page
Author: Hugo Mills
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Netbook excitement

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x56c76100.hantslug.org.uk.658': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Wed Oct 22 16:14:37 2008 BST
gpg: using DSA key 20ACB3BE515C238D
On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 04:07:04PM +0100, Charlie de Courcy wrote:
> I have discovered one more mild annoyance. The X server is opening up a
> TCP port (6000) and presenting this port externally.
>
> From research I see this can be disabled with the 'startx -- -nolisten
> tcp' however I cannot find where startx is invoked?
> I've edited /usr/bin/startx and changed a line to 'serverargs="-nolisten
> tcp" but this doesn't appear to work.
> I'm currently running 'grep -iR startx /etc' as my last hope option -
> but understandably this is taking some time :)
>

> Any ideas / recommendations on the best way to address this?

There are several likely places that it could be. In rough order:

/etc/X11/xdm/Xservers
/etc/inittab
/etc/init.d/xdm (or gdm or kdm)

Hugo.

          --- Is a diversity twice as good as a university? ---